Increasing complexity in the corporate world is forcing the middle level and senior level executives to search for options that can give them significant edge. IIM Lucknow’s Executive Fellow Programme in Management (EFPM) is the likely answer. The program is uniquely designed to meet learning aspirations of enthusiastic executives and teaching professionals, and will inculcate in them state-of-the-art research skills required for increased understanding of today’s complex business world while continuing to work. This is a doctoral program and primarily aims at preparing students for career in management research, teaching and consulting. EFPM helps corporate honchos who are aspiring to gain competency for rigorous research and also create an opportunity for alternate career option.
The objective of the programme is to prepare the students for careers not only in management research and teaching but also in management practice, consulting, training, and development in a formal setting while continuing to be engaged in their ongoing professions/businesses. The programme intends to strike an ideal balance between management practice and theory that will give you the power to advance in senior management, initiate a consulting practice, and launch an academic career. It would encourage research relevant to address contemporary management issues in a rigorous but relevant way.
First Year (Mandatory Course Work)
An EFPM student has to do first year course work with Post Graduate Programme for Working Executives (PGPWE). All these courses are compulsory courses. The PGPWE classes are held on alternative weekends at NOIDA Campus of IIM Lucknow.
Second Year (Mandatory Course Work)
An EFPM student has to do specialized elective and compulsory courses in second year. In order to do these courses, an EFPM student has to make three visits of 21 days’ duration each to NOIDA/ Lucknow Campus during the second year. (During Campus visits, the fee for boarding and lodging facility will be paid by the student on actual basis. The fee will be intimated before the commencement of the term by EFPM office.)
After completing mandatory course work successfully in first and second year, the student needs to take a Comprehensive Examination.
After passing the Comprehensive Examination successfully, the student needs to form his/her Thesis Advisory Committee (TAC) in consultation with his area’s faculty members.
After the formation of TAC, the student presents the thesis proposal.
The last steps of the programme are Thesis Submission and Defense.
EFPM is a part-time, non-residential programme. The student is expected to complete the programme ordinarily in five years (four years in case of direct admission to second year). An extension may be granted for a period of maximum 2years (with approval from the TAC), such that the totalduration of the program does not exceed beyond 7 years.
For General/OBC category:
- Secondary (Class X) and Senior Secondary (Class XII) with minimum 55% marks
- Graduation (non-engineering) with minimum 50% marks or equivalent CGPA and Post-graduation with minimum 55% marks or equivalent CGPA,OR
- Graduation (engineering) with minimum 65% marks or equivalent CGPA.
For SC/ST category:
- Secondary (Class X) and Senior Secondary (Class XII) with minimum 50% marks.
- Graduation (non-engineering) with minimum 45% marks or equivalent CGPA and Post-graduation with minimum 50% marks or equivalent CGPA,OR
- Graduation (engineering) with minimum 60% marks or equivalent CGPA.
(Note: One-year PGDMs are not eligible, unless they are graduates of 4-yeardegree programs, or have another PG degree.)
Age and Work Experience
- Currently employed in full time job with minimum 7 years of work experience as on 31st March 2020
- Must not be more than 55 years of age as on 31st March, 2020
Qualifying examinations (any one of the followings)
- CAT (test taken in the last two test cycles)
- GATE (test taken in the last two test cycles)
- A valid GMAT score
- A valid GRE score
- JRF (Qualified)
- PGPWE Entrance Exam to be conducted on 15th February 2020 at IIM Lucknow, NOIDA Campus (please mention in the application form if you wish to take this exam).
Exemption from first year
- On the recommendation of interview panel, the exemption from first year would be given to a candidate, who, in addition to the aforementioned points, is a two-year MBA or equivalent with a minimum CGPA of at least 7.0 on a 10-point scale or at least 70% marks or equivalent from.
- An Indian institute/university that has featured inthe top 15 institutes/universities as per the NIRFlist released by the Government of India (List ofManagement Schools, any year),OR
- An institute/university having the MBA programme pursued by the candidate, accredited by at least one of AMBA, AACSB, and EQUIS.
- Candidate submit duly filled Application Form along with copies of documents in support of the attainments mentioned in Eligibility Criteria.
- If a candidate is seeking admission in first-year-exempted category under the Eligibility Criteria 5b mentioned above, the candidate has to provide a document or letter from the corresponding institute/ university proving the accreditation.
- Candidate needs to mention the area of specialization from the below mentioned academic areas
- Agribusiness Management
- Business Environment (Economics)
- Business Sustainability
- Business Communication
- Decision Sciences (Statistics, Operations Research)
- Finance and Accounting
- Human Resource Management
- Information Technology and Systems
- Legal Management
- Marketing Management
- Operations Management
- Strategic Management
(A candidate may apply in two academic areas through separate applications. However, no need to pay the fee twice.)
- Applications are shortlisted by separate area level screening committees.
- Shortlisted candidates are called for personal interview to any one of IIM Lucknow Campus (Lucknow/ NOIDA).
- Final selection is based on personal interview and academic and professional profile.
January 01, 2020
Last date of Applying
January 31, 2020
PGP WE Entrance Exam
February 15, 2020
First Week of March 2020
Announcement of Selected Candidates
Second Week of March 2020
Acceptance and Submission of First Installment of Fees
Fourth Week of March 2020
Commencement of the Programme
First Week of April 2020
Application Fee is INR 1,000 (INR 500 for SC/ST candidates). No additional fee is needed for applying to two areas.
Completed EFPM: 2020 Application Form must reach us by January 31, 2020.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY ONLINE
Q1. What is EFPM?
The Executive Fellow Programme in Management (EFPM) is a part time, non-residential, doctoral program that has been specifically designed to cater to the academic needs of working executives/ managers/ faculty members/ researchers. EFPM is open for candidates based in India or abroad.
Q2. Is it possible to complete the programme on a part-time basis?
Yes. EFPM is a part time non - residential programme.
Classes during the first year are held with WMP students in alternate weekends.
During the second year, three campus visits of 21 days’ duration each are needed to finish the course work. Thus, for “exempted” candidates (e.g., those who are qualified to join the programme directly in the second year), only three visits of 21 days are needed to finish course work.
During third and fourth year, a few campus visits for a few days may be needed to complete other formalities (e.g., to take comprehensive examination, thesis proposal presentation, thesis defence etc.). There is, however, an implicit understanding that the student will be in constant touch with his/her supervisor through skype, mails and other mediums.
Q3. Who should apply? What are the typical backgrounds of doctoral students?
Students interested in pursuing research careers and having high scholastic aptitude should apply. Typically, students may have varied backgrounds.
Q4. What are the qualities which IIM Lucknow is looking for in applicants to the programme?
We are looking for highly motivated and disciplined candidates with strong academic preparation who exhibit curiosity, desire to learn, and have an inclination towards research. More importantly, candidates should be self-driven enough to work on their research problem regularly despite the demands of their regular job and other personal and family obligation.
Q5. How will I sustain myself for 4-5 years, if I have a family and working in an organization?
The EFPM students will continue to work with their organizations while pursuing the programme.
Q6. What is the purpose of the personal interview? What is expected at the interview? Does it help if I come prepared with a research proposal?
The purpose of the personal interview is to gauge the academic preparedness and the drive of the candidate for the programme. It also gives the candidate an opportunity to find out if the programme meets the expectations of the student. You are encouraged to bring a proposal of your research interest during interview.
Q7. Is separate accommodation for married people available?
Right now there is no provision for such accommodation.
Q8. Does the programme accept international students?
Yes. The programme accepts international students. The eligibility requirements and course structure are the same as for domestic students.
Q9. What are the important stages in the programme?
The key stages are: Course work, Comprehensive examination, formulation of thesis proposal for Doctoral level research, Thesis Submission and Defense.
Q10. Do I apply for a specific area or can I choose my area after getting admission?
You have to apply for a specific area (http://www.iiml.ac.in/faculty-list-by-area). You can apply for two different areas, but in that case you must apply separately and provide two sets of filled up form and other documents. However, you need not to pay the additional fee. Areas to which you apply, will decide on your suitability for admission separately. You cannot change your area of specialization after your admission.
Q11. How do I choose my research topic?
A research topic requires interest and motivation of student and availability of a suitable guide interested in the area. After course work, consulting with EFPM student, a Thesis Advisory Committee (TAC) is formed. The TAC of a student helps the student to identify an appropriate topic.
Q12. What is the process of getting a scholarship and how much is the amount?
Since the EFPM students are working professionals, no scholarship will be offered.
Q13. What is the average completion time for EFPM?
The total duration of the program will ordinarily be four years and a maximum of six years.
Q14. Will these classes be held in Lucknow or Noida?
Classes may be held in either Lucknow or Noida campus at the discretion of the authorities.
The program structure is as academically rigorous as a PhD but is designed for senior, experienced professional managers /teaching professionals – average age 42 (with a range between 31 and 55) – and is highly applicable within your specific sector and career.
The programme has the following components:
- Mandatory Course work
- Comprehensive Examination
- Formulation of thesis proposal for Doctoral level Research
- Thesis Submission and Defense
The fee for EFPM is given below:
|Amount||Detail||Last date of payment|
|INR 50,000||Acceptance Fee (non-refundable)||Fourth Week of March 2020|
|INR 2,50,000||Programme Fee Installment||First Week of April 2020|
|INR 1,25,000||Programme Fee Installment||First Week of April 2021|
|INR 1,25,000||Programme Fee Installment||First Week of April 2022|
|INR 1,25,000||Programme Fee Installment||First Week of April 2023|
|INR 1,25,000||Programme Fee Installment||First Week of April 2024|
Thus the total programme fee for the students who fulfill all the requirements of the programme in time, the total programme fee works out to be INR 7,50,000.
For exempted candidates who join the EFPM directly in second year and fulfill all the requirements of the programme in time, the total programme fee works out to be INR 5,00,000.
It may be noted that
- The above mentioned fee does not include boarding and lodging during campus visits. These costs will be paid by the student on the basis of actuals.
- The above mentioned fee does not include any taxes.
- After the fifth year, if the student is given an extension, he or she will pay INR 125,000 per year as the program fee for all subsequent years.