S. Venkataramanaiah Associate Professor
- Ph.D (Anna University, Chennai, India)
- M.Tech (NIT Calicut, India)
- B.Tech (Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, India)
Dr. S Venkataramanaiah (Venkat) is an Associate Professor in Operations Management. He has 22 years of teaching and research experience gained from premier academic institutions and corporate from India and Singapore. Before joining IIM Lucknow, he was at IIM Kozhikode for a brief period. He worked at IIM Indore as well as at IIT Madras as a faculty member. He worked as a Research fellow at Singapore MIT Alliance (SMA) Program, Nanyang Business School Singapore and also worked at Honeywell Singapore as a SCM Lead Engineer. He started his career as an academician, in March 1992, from College of Engineering, Guindy, Anna University, Chennai.
Venkat was a Fulbright Visiting Lecturer to W P Carey School of Business, Arizona State University, USA during August and December 2009. He has undergone training on Participant Centered Learning at Harvard Business School (HBS) USA during July 2009 and February 2010. He received Dewang Mehta Award for Best Teacher in Operations Management in the year 2011. He also received best teacher award at College of Engineering Guindy, Anna University, Chennai in 1994. He was actively involved in Institution building activities and also served as a member of different academic committees. He was a coordinator of Center for Manufacturing Excellence at IIM Indore during January 2007 and July 2012 and conducted research in the area of productivity improvement of SMEs, cluster development, impact assessment of central sponsored projects etc.
He published more than seventy papers in various peer reviewed international and national journals and conferences. His research work was published in International Journals like Journal of Operational Research Society (JORS), International Journal of Production Research (IJPR), International Journal of Production Economics (IJPE), Production Planning and Control (PPC)
etc and Conferences like INFORMS, POMS, DSI, ICPR, GT/CMS, ICOQM, SOM, ORSI
etc. He has authored two book chapters and a customized book on Production and Operations Management for MBA Programme. He is an editorial member of National and International journals. He has been awarded Distinguished Service Award by AIMS International in 2008 for his contribution as editorial board member of AIMS International Journal.
He teaches courses like Supply Chain Management, Logistics Management, Operations Management, Service Operations Management, Quantitative Methods, Advanced Modelling in Operations Systems at Postgraduate programme and Research Programme level. His research and consulting interest includes Sustainable Supply Chain Management, Medical Device Supply Chains, Healthcare Management, Sourcing and Supply Management, Manufacturing Systems Modelling, Lean Manufacturing, Productivity Management, Sustainability of SMEs and SME Cluster Development.
He carried out few consulting projects which include Diagnostic Study of a State Financial Corporation, Impact Assessment of Micro Irrigation Project, Operationalization of Auto Cluster project, Productivity Improvement of Handicrafts Manufacturing etc. He carried out more than thirty academic projects covering automobile industry, Pharma industry, FMCG, semiconductor industry, refineries etc. Dr. Venkat has conducted several management development programmes in the area of SCM, Excellence in Manufacturing, Service Operations, Project Management and allied areas for the benefit of middle and senior level managers of corporate like Honeywell, Tata Motors, AVTEC, DRDO, NTPC, SAIL, PSUs in energy sector like BPCL, Indian Oil Corporation, Pharma companies, Banks, Agro Industries etc.
- Operations Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Managing Service Operations
- Sustainability of SMEs
- Healthcare Management
- Sourcing and Supply Management
- Enhancing Competitiveness and sustainability of SMEs
- Impact Assessment of development projects
- Excellence in Manufacturing and Services
||Name of Institute/Organization
|| IIM Lucknow
|| Associate Professor
|| May 29, 2013
|| IIM Kozhikode
|| Associate Professor
|| Oct 29, 2012
|| May 28, 2013
|| IIM Indore
|| Assistant Professor
|| Feb 10, 2005
|| Oct 28, 2012
|| IIT Madras
|| Assistant Professor
|| Nov 28, 2003
|| Feb 9, 2005
|| Singapore MIT Alliance Program, Nanyang Business School, Singapore
|| Postdoctoral Research Fellow
|| Apr 2, 2002
|| Nov 25, 2003
|| Honeywell Labs Singapore
|| SCM Lead Engineer
|| Sept 10, 2001
|| Apr 2, 2002
Recent Publications, Articles, Cases
- Venkataramanaiah, S.and Ganesh Kumar, N (2016): Approaches for enhancing competitiveness of Moradabad Handicrafts Manufacturing Units, International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development (Accepted April 2016).
- Mukund N. J., Izabela N., Ponnambalam S.G., Venkataramanaiah S, (2016), Differential evolution algorithm for solving RALB problem using cost and time based models, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology (Accepted May 2016)
- Xiong, M.H., Tor, S.B., Rohit Bhatnagar, Khoo, L.P. and Venkat, S.R. (2006): A DSS approach for customer enquiry handling at manufacturing stage for SMEs, International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Vol. 103, pp: 332-346
- Venkataramanaiah, S. and Ganesh Kumar, N (2011): Building Competitiveness: A Case of Handicrafts Manufacturing Cluster Units, Indore Management Journal, Vol. 3 (2), pp: 27-37.
- Bhatnagar, R and Saddikuti, V. (2010): Models for Cellular Manufacturing Systems Design: Matching Processing Requirements and Operator Capabilities, Journal of Operational Research Society, UK, Vol. 61(5), pp: 827-839.
- Parashar, S.P and Venkataramanaiah, S (2008) Operationalisation of an Auto Cluster Project: Indian Experience, International Journal of Indian Culture and Business Management, Indersciences, USA, Vol. 1 (4), pp: 475-485.
- Mahadevan, B. and Venkataramanaiah, S. (2008), Realigning research objectives in Cellular Manufacturing System Design: A users’ perspective, Technology Operations and Management, McMillan, Vol. 1 (1), pp: 17-29.
- Venkataramanaiah, S (2008): Scheduling in Cellular Manufacturing Systems: A Heuristic Approach, International Journal of Production Research, Taylor & Francis, Vol. 46(2), pp: 429-449.
- Venkataramanaiah, S. and Parashar, S.P (2007), Enhancing the competitiveness of SMEs through industrial clusters: the Indian experience, International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development, UK, Intellect, Vol. 6 (3), pp: 227-243.
- Rohit Bhatnagar, Venkataramanaiah, S and Anand, R (2007): A model for contingent manpower planning: Insights from a high clockspeed Industry, International Journal of Production Research. Taylor & Francis, Vol. 45 (9), pp: 2051-2072.
Awards & Recognitions
- Devanga Mehta Best Teacher award in Operations Management, December 2011.
- Fulbright Visiting Scholar, W P Carey School of Business, Arizona State University, USA, August-December 2009.
- Global Colloquium on Participant Centered Learning, HBS, Boston, USA. July 25-August 5 2009 and Feb 9-12, 2010.
- AIMS International Service Award, AIMS International, USA, December 2008
- Quality Circle award for distinguished teaching- Anna University, Chennai, April 1994.